Pact (6 of 6)

Thursday, September 07, 2006

"How are you feeling?" They were sitting in Dante's car, parked in front of the Green's house. Jennifer wore Dante's jacket; her blood-soaked top had been left behind.

"Better. Much better." Once again she lifted the jacket to look at her stomach. There wasn't even a scar. "I feel like I could jump buildings"

"The euphoria will probably last for a few hours. Your system was flooded with endorphins due to your injury. Normally you'd have crashed by now - or died. But since you've been healed, your body's trying to work out what it's meant to be doing..." Touching on something he didn't really want to deal with yet, Dante trailed off.

"Are you going to ask me about it? I know you want to" Jennifer climbed out of the car, and Dante followed.

"You've made a pact Adramelech, which is nearly as bad as a deal with Satan himself. Possibly worse if you believe Silverberg. It's very serious, but there are still ways to undo it."

"But I'm alive."

"For now. Any demonic pact has hidden barbs, but from what I know of Adramelech, he's one of the worst. How long do you have? Do you even know?"

"Thirteen months."

"That's... that's not long. We'll need to work quickly. Let your parents know you're alright, and then we'll get started on finding you a way out of this deal."

"But why would I want to do that?" Jennifer said, a small smile dancing across her lips as she rang the doorbell.

"There's always a price to pay for what they give you. And regardless of what you agreed to, it usually ends up being your soul."

"I already agreed to give them my soul. Thirteen months is more then enough time." She giggled at the look on Dante's face. "Adramelech gave me more then my life. In thirteen months, he will return to take this body's soul to hell. But he showed me how I could swap souls with someone else. Every thirteen months after that, I'll select myself a new body. I'll live for ever."

Just then, Richard Green opened the door and nearly fainted in surprise.

"Jennifer! Where have you been? What happened to you?"

"None of that matters Daddy" she said, smiling. Dante was quick enough to connect the small movement of her hand with the sudden vacant look that came across her father's face.

"No... I guess not..."

"Come now Daddy. Mr Harsher is very busy." Jennifer slide past her father and stepped inside. As she pulled the door closed, Jennifer Green locked eyes with Dante "You can send Mr Harsher his money tomorrow. After all, he did his job."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home